3-Cheese SauceDrizzle this creamy sauce over steamed or micro-cooked veggies for a tasty change of pace.
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 1/4 cups of low-fat milk or fat-free half-and-half
- 2 ounces of part-skim Jarlsberg® (or reduced-fat Swiss) cheese, grated
- 2 1/2 ounces of reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon of pepper
1. In a small saucepan, blend flour with 2 tablespoons of the milk or half-and-half to form a smooth paste. Using a wire whisk, slowly blend in remaining milk until smooth. Simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
2. Reduce heat and add cheeses, garlic powder, and pepper. Stir until well blended and cheese has melted.
3. Remove from heat and use as desired.
Per serving: 99 calories, 9 g protein, 5 g carbohydrate, 4.8 g fat (3 g saturated fat, 1.4 g monounsaturated fat, 0.2 g polyunsaturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 0.1 g fiber, 177 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 44%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter