Easy Cheesy Ball
- 8-ounce package light cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons low trans-fat margarine with 8 g of fat per tablespoon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant cheddar cheese sauce mix (use the envelope from a macaroni and cheese mix, or cheddar cheese powder from the store's spice section)
- 1 cup shredded, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley (or 3/4 teaspoon dried)
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1. Put cream cheese, margarine, cheddar cheese powder, cheddar cheese, lemon juice, parsley, and green onion in small food processor bowl. Process until nicely blended. Put chopped nuts into a shallow bowl.
2. Shape cheese mixture into a ball or log using clean hands, then roll it in the chopped nuts. Wrap well with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with lower-fat, higher-fiber crackers.
12 servings (1 cheese ball)
Per serving: 92 calories, 5 g protein, 2 g carbohydrate, 7 g fat, 3.3 g saturated fat, 14 mg cholesterol, 0.2 g fiber, 147 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 69%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.