Dips & Spreads
Lite (Liverless) PateThe original recipe for this appetizer came from one of our Weight Loss Clinic members who posted on the Recipe Doctor message board. It sounded so good I just had to try it for myself. The light version worked wonderfully, so I want to share it with all of you.
- 2 cups shredded roasted, skinless, and boneless dark chicken meat (2 thighs and 2 drumsticks work well)
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup low trans-fat margarine with 8 grams fat per tablespoon (such as Take Control®)
- 1/4 cup light cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Dash celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (or more to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (or more to taste)
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons brandy (add a tablespoon more. if desired)
- 1/3 cup dried currants or other dried fruits (such as cranberries)
1. Add all ingredients to a large food processor bowl. Blend until mostly smooth.
2. Spoon into serving bowl and chill at least six hours. Serve with thinly sliced bread and/or wheat crackers (preferably reduced-fat and higher-fiber).
Per serving: 129 calories, 10 g protein, 5.5 g carbohydrate, 6.5 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 33 mg cholesterol, 0.6 g fiber, 57 mg sodium (not including celery salt). Calories from fat: 50%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter