Tuscany Meatless Sandwiches
- 1 large slice sourdough or French bread, or a 7-inch-long baguette half
- About 7 large fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil (flavored or extra-virgin)
- 3 large, thick slices of fresh mozzarella cheese (about 1.5 ounces)
- 1/2 large vine-ripened tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1. Cover the bread with fresh basil leaves. Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon olive oil evenly over the basil. Top that with fresh mozzarella slices.
2. Broil sandwich, watching carefully, until cheese is melted and starting to lightly brown in spots (about 5 minutes in a toaster oven).
3. Lay tomato slices on top of the mozzarella, then drizzle 1/2 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar over all.
1 open-face sandwich
Per open-face sandwich: 314 calories, 18 g protein, 35 g carbohydrate, 11.5 g fat (5.3 g saturated fat, 4.4 g monounsaturated fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 560 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 33%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.