Smoked Salmon with Scallion Cream Cheese
- 4 ounces of light cream cheese
- 1 scallion (the white and light green parts), finely chopped
- 5 slices of dark rye bread
- 3.5 ounces of smoked salmon (or lox) thinly sliced
- 1 head Belgium endive, leaves separated, washed, and dried well
1. Beat light cream cheese and chopped scallion together in a small bowl with an electric mixer or by hand. Spread the mixture thinly on one side of each slice of bread (all 5 slices).
2. Layer the salmon over the cream-cheese mixture on 2 1/2 of the slices (cut one of the slices in half). Then top the salmon evenly with the endive leaves.
3. Place the remaining bread slices (including the half-slice) over each sandwich and press down firmly. Wrap well, and keep chilled in refrigerator until ready to serve. Cut the rest of the sandwiches in half before serving.
5 half sandwiches
Per half sandwich: 280 calories, 16 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 10 g fat (5.6 g saturated fat, 2 g monounsaturated fat, 0.10 g polyunsaturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 820 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 35%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.