Peppered Steak Sandwiches with Caramelized Onions and Light Horseradish Sauce
- 3 1-inch-thick filet mignon steaks (beef tenderloin steaks), about 1 1/4 pound total*
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided use
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- 1 large sweet onion (or 2 small ones), cut in half and thinly sliced
- 2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms (or use sliced regular mushrooms, or chopped portabellas)
- 1/2 cup water or low-sodium beef broth
- 2 1/2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons white (or creamed) horseradish
- 4 French, sourdough, or submarine rolls (part whole-wheat, if available)
- *Note: If the filet mignon is 1 1/2 inch thick, have your butcher cut in half lengthwise to make 3/4-inch steaks (these will cook a little more quickly).
1. Add a teaspoon of canola oil to a medium nonstick frying pan or skillet, and let it get nice and hot over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, salt and pepper both sides of each steak (heavier on the pepper than the salt). Add steaks to the pan, and cook to desired doneness (about 5-6 minutes per side for medium-well). Use a fork to remove steaks to a plate (keep the steak juices in the pan for use later).
2. Add the remaining teaspoon of oil to a large, nonstick skillet and saute the onion slices over medium-high heat until golden (about 5 minutes). Add the mushroom slices, 1/2 cup broth or water, and all the juices from the steak pan. Continue to cook the onions and mushrooms, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Put light mayonnaise and horseradish in a custard cup and stir to blend well.
4. Place the bottoms of your sandwich rolls on a serving plate. Spread horseradish sauce on top of each. Top each with steak slices and the onion/mushroom mixture, then place tops on the sandwiches.
Per sandwich: 393 calories, 30 g protein, 33 g carbohydrate, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat, 5.2 g monounsaturated fat, 1.5 g polyunsaturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 430 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 36%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.