Lean & Mean Chili
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced or chopped garlic
- 1.3 to 1.4 pounds beef round tip pieces, trimmed of visible fat
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes in tomato puree
- 1 12-ounce bottle or can of nonalcoholic or light beer
- 2/3 cup strong coffee (decaf or regular)
- 1/3 cup light pancake syrup
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (or add more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander (or add more to taste)
- 2 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, drained
- Garnish (optional)
1/2 cup shredded, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1. Heat canola oil in a large, nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, and beef pieces and saute for about 10 minutes, or until meat is well browned.
2. Stir in the tomatoes, beer, coffee, and pancake syrup. Then stir in the seasonings (chili powder, cumin, cocoa, oregano, cayenne pepper, and coriander). Stir in the beans. Cover pot, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about an hour.
3. Top each serving with a sprinkle of reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese and fresh chopped green onion, if desired.
Per serving: 275 calories, 25 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 6 g fat (1.6 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 8.5 g fiber, 239 mg sodium (if lower sodium canned beans are used). Calories from fat: 20%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.