Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- 1 pound ground sirloin (around 6%-9% fat), or ground turkey with around 6% fat
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 16-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2 14.5-ounce cans peeled and diced tomatoes
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chilies (buy mild, if you prefer)
- 1 ounce packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup shredded, reduced-fat cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
1. In a medium skillet, cook the ground beef or turkey over medium heat until browned. Drain, and set aside.
2. Place the ground meat, onion, chili beans, kidney beans, corn, tomato sauce, water, diced tomatoes, green chile peppers, and taco seasoning mix in a slow cooker. Mix to blend, and cook on Low setting for 8 hours.
3. Ladle into individual serving bowls, and top each with 1/8 cup shredded cheese and a tablespoon of fat-free sour cream. Serve with homemade flour tortillas.
Per serving: 288 calories, 20 g protein, 37 g carbohydrate, 7 g fat, 2.7 g saturated fat, 24 mg cholesterol, 10 g fiber, 730 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 22%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors