Beef & Bean Mexican LasagnaIt's layered like lasagna, but has all the flavors of a beef and bean burrito!
- 1 pound ground sirloin or super-lean ground beef (around 6%-8% fat)
- 1 cup chopped sweet or mild onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 packet/envelope taco seasoning
- 10 flour tortillas cut in half
- 14-ounce can enchilada sauce
- 15-ounce can fat-free or vegetarian refried beans
- 12-ounce jar mild salsa (whatever flavor you desire)
- 2 1/2 cups shredded, reduced-fat Jack cheese (or a combination of reduced-fat Jack and reduced-fat cheddar)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown ground beef and onion in a large, nonstick skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat, breaking the beef into small pieces as it cooks using a potato masher. Stir in the garlic powder, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and taco seasoning.
2. Spread 1 cup of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking pan. Top with about a third of the flour tortillas. Add refried beans and 1/8 cup of the enchilada sauce to a medium, microwave-safe bowl and warm in microwave over HIGH heat to soften beans (30-60 seconds). Spread beans over the layer of tortillas in pan. Add half of the beef mixture, then half of the salsa, and a cup of the grated cheese.
3. Repeat the layers again, starting with another third of the tortillas, the rest of the beef, the rest of the salsa, and a cup of the grated cheese. Top with the remaining tortillas and spread the remaining enchilada sauce over the top. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the top.
4. Bake, uncovered, for 35-45 minutes or until heated throughout and cheese is bubbly.
Per serving: 345 calories, 22 g protein, 39 g carbohydrate, 10.5 g fat (4.5 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 850 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 30%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter