- 1/2 package (9-10 ounces) frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 scallions or green onions (white and part of the green), chopped
- 3 ounces flavored feta cheese (such as roasted bell pepper & garlic), crumbled
- 1 cup shredded, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (add more if desired)
- 9-inch unbaked deep-dish pie crust, partially thawed
- 2 large eggs (use higher omega-3 type, if available)
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half (or substitute low-fat milk)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, toss together spinach, green onions, feta, cheddar, pepper to taste, and garlic powder.
2. Spoon mixture evenly into the pie crust.
3. Add eggs, egg substitute, and fat-free half-and-half to large mixing bowl, and beat on medium speed until combined. Pour into the pie crust, letting the spinach mixture combine nicely with the egg mixture.
4. Bake until center of quiche is cooked throughout (about 50-55 minutes). Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 228 calories, 13 g protein, 15 g carbohydrate, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 388 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 50%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.