Sing the Blues Flapjacks
- 1 cup cake flour or unbleached white flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs (or 1 egg plus 1/4 cup egg substitute, or 2 egg whites)
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup reduced-calorie pancake syrup
- 1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh unsweetened blueberries
1. Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in medium bowl and blend well with fork.
2. Beat eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla in mixing bowl on medium-low speed until smooth.
3. Add canola oil, pancake syrup, and dry ingredients to egg mixture in mixing bowl and beat on lowest speed, scraping with rubber spatula, just until blended. Gently fold in blueberries. Do not over mix.
4. Let batter rest for 20 minutes. Spray griddle lightly with canola cooking spray. Preheat griddle until a drop of water skittles across the surface. 5. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto griddle. Cook over medium heat until bubbles form (30-60 seconds). Turn over with spatula and cook another 30-60 seconds or until golden brown. Serve pancakes with your preferred toppings.
5 servings (3-4 pancakes each)
Per serving: 314 calories, 11 g protein, 54 g carbohydrate, 6.5 g fat (1.3 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 4.5 g fiber, 840 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 19%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter