- 1 tablespoon no-trans-fat margarine (with 8 grams of fat per tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons fat-free or light sour cream
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Wondra® quick-mixing flour
- 3/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch ground nutmeg or cayenne red pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded light Jarlsberg® cheese (or reduced-fat Swiss)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
1. In medium saucepan, melt the butter. Remove from heat; blend in the sour cream and flour to make a paste. Whisk in the milk and half-and-half and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to simmer, stir in salt, pepper, and cayenne, and stir frequently until the sauce thickens (about 5 minutes). Whisk in an additional tablespoon of Wondra® flour, if needed, for desired thickness.
2. Remove from heat, stir in shredded cheeses and stir well. Pour cheese into fondue pot or slow cooker set on HIGH. Serve with cubes of sourdough or French bread, or lightly cooked vegetables (broccoli or cauliflower florets work well).
Per serving of fondue (if 4 per recipe): 185 calories, 15 g protein, 10.5 g carbohydrate, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 0.2 g fiber, 278 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 44%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.