Kids' Banana Bread
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup no-trans-fat margarine (choose one with 8 grams of fat per tablespoon)
- 1/4 vanilla low-fat yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup Splenda® sweetener
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup egg substitute or 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed overripe bananas (about four bananas)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9"x5" loaf pan with canola cooking spray and lightly dust with flour.
2. In a large bowl, combine flours, baking soda, and salt. In large mixing bowl, cream together margarine, yogurt, vanilla extract, brown sugar, and Splenda®.
3. On low speed, beat in egg and egg substitute and mashed bananas until well blended. Add flour mixture to banana mixture and blend just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
4. Bake 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
One 9x5-inch loaf (12 servings)
Per serving: 198 calories, 5 g protein, 36.5 g carbohydrate, 4.3 g fat (0.7 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 232 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 29%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.