Teriyaki Portobello Mushroom Burger with Garlic Mayonnaise
- 2 portobello mushrooms (about 3 1/2 inches wide), cleaned and stems removed
- 2 tablespoons bottled teriyaki sauce
- 2 large thin slices or of reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese (about 1-2 ounces)
- 2 multigrain or whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 2 leaves of lettuce
- 4 tomato slices
- Garlic Mayonnaise:
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- a few drops Worcestershire sauce for an extra kick (optional)
- ground pepper and seasoning salt to taste
1. Heat the coals or grill. Spread teriyaki sauce over the mushrooms and marinate while the coals are getting ready.
2. Grill the mushrooms about 6 inches from the heat until tender (about 4-5 minutes a side).
3. Add the cheese on top and continue to grill briefly to melt cheese.
4. Assemble burgers by placing the lettuce leaf and tomato on the bottom bun then top with the cheese-topped mushroom. Spread the top bun lightly with half of the garlic mayonnaise and place on top of the mushroom (the lettuce keeps the bottom bun from getting soggy from some of the mushroom juice).
Per burger: 268 calories, 14 g protein, 32 g carbohydrate, 9.5 g fat (3.4 g saturated fat, 2.5 g monounsaturated fat, 0.8 g polyunsaturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 410 mg sodium (not including seasoning salt). Calories from fat: 32%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter