Finger-Lickin' Oven-Fried Chicken
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (cayenne red pepper can be substituted -- increase to 1 teaspoon if extra 'heat' is desired)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Canola cooking spray
1. Remove skin from chicken pieces and discard. Combine chicken pieces and buttermilk in a gallon-sized zip-top bag. Refrigerate sealed bag in a medium-size bowl for several hours or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 450°F. Add flour, chipotle pepper, cumin, salt, and white pepper to a new gallon-sized, zip-top bag or medium-size shallow bowl. Stir with fork to blend ingredients well.
3. Remove a piece of chicken from buttermilk and gently shake off excess buttermilk. Immediately dip chicken into flour mixture; coat well. Holding chicken piece over a plate, spray top and bottom well with canola cooking spray. Dip chicken piece into flour mixture a second time and spray again with canola cooking spray. Place chicken bone-side down onto a cookie sheet.
4. Repeat with remaining pieces of chicken.
5. Bake until chicken is cooked throughout and coating is golden brown (about 25-30 minutes). Switch the oven to broil, and broil the chicken 6 inches from the heat for a minute or two (until outside of chicken is nicely browned), watching very carefully so as not to burn.
Per serving: 261 calories, 32 g protein, 13 g carbohydrate, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat, 3.2 g monounsaturated fat, 1.9 g polyunsaturated fat), 92 mg cholesterol, 0.5 g fiber, 365 mg sodium, 2 mg iron, 35 mg calcium.
SOURCE: Magee, E. Fry Light, Fry Right!, Black Dog & Leventhal, September 2004.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors