Cajun Sirloin BurgersServe these spicy ground sirloin or turkey burgers on a whole-grain bun dressed with lettuce, tomato, and red onion and the barbecue sauce of your choice!
- 1 pound ground sirloin or ground turkey with around 6% fat
- 3 tablespoons dry Italian bread crumbs
- 3 to 4 tablespoons egg substitute
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 4 slices (4 ounces) reduced-fat Monterey Jack or Mozzarella cheese
- 4 whole-grain buns
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 large tomato slices
- about 12 rings of red onion
1. Preheat grill for high heat.
2. In an 8 cup measure, blend the ground beef, bread crumbs, 3 tablespoons of egg substitute, green onions, 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning, and mustard by mixing with hands. Form into 4 patties by hand or using a patty press.
3. Lightly coat the grill grate with canola cooking spray, and cook the patties 5 minutes per side, or until well done. Place a slice of the cheese on each burger, and allow to melt.
4. Serve the burgers on whole grain buns dressed with barbecue sauce, lettuce, tomato and onion.
Per serving: 420 calories, 35 g protein, 39 g carbohydrate, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat, 6.3 g monounsaturated fat, 1.4 g polyunsaturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 800 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 30%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter