Deluxe Spinach Salad
- 2 cups Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 15 oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (1 3/4 cup)
- 6 green onions, sliced or chopped
- 6 oz artichoke hearts, bottled in water
- 2 1/4 oz can sliced ripe olives, drained (optional)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, washed, patted dry (tear large leaves in half)
- 10 cups fresh spinach leaves, washed, patted dry (tear large leaves in half)
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 5 strips Louis Rich® Less Fat Turkey Bacon, cooked over low heat until crisp, then crumbled
- Balsamic Dijon Dressing:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon honey
-2 tablespoons low fat or light mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 large or 2 small garlic cloves, pressed or minced
1. In bowl, toss tomatoes, bell pepper, beans, onions, artichoke hearts, and olives if desired. Refrigerate until needed.
2. In small food processor, blender, or by whisking in a bowl, combine dressing ingredients and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until needed.
3. Right before serving, toss tomato-bean mixture with basil and spinach leaves. Drizzle with dressing (you may want to reserve a small amount of dressing for individual differences -- they can always add more). Sprinkle parmesan cheese and turkey bits over the top.
Per serving: 229 calories, 12.5 g protein, 31.5 g carbohydrate, 7.5 g fat (1.9 g saturated fat), 15.5 mg cholesterol, 12 g fiber, 558 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 28%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter