Vegetarian Taco Salad
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce (or substitute other types of lettuce)
- 1 cup chopped, vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced
- 2 green onions, white and part of the green, chopped
- 2/3 cup canned red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or use soy cheddar cheese)
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives (optional)
1/3 cup of your favorite salsa
1/3 cup fat-free sour cream.
2 ounces reduced-fat tortilla chips, broken slightly (or use regular tortilla chips).
1. Combine lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, green onions, kidney beans, cheese, and black olives, if desired, in a large serving bowl and toss to blend.
2. In a 2 cup measure, blend salsa with sour cream until fairly smooth. Drizzle over the salad ingredients and toss to blend well.
3. Sprinkle the chip pieces over the tops and serve!
Per serving: 282 calories, 13 g protein, 30 g carbohydrate, 13 g fat (3.7 g saturated fat, 7.1 g monounsaturated fat, 1.6 g polyunsaturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 7.5 g fiber, 350 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 42%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter