Peachy Tomato Grilling SauceThis is terrific as a basting sauce for pork chops (trimmed of visible fat), and skinless chicken breasts.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced or crushed ginger (available in bottles in the produce section)
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce (low-sodium if available)
- 1/3 cup less-sugar peach preserves
- 1 cup finely chopped ripe peach slices (you can use fresh peaches; thawed frozen peach slices; or a 15-ounce can of sliced peaches canned in peach juice, drained)
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar (add more to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste (optional)
1. Heat olive oil in a medium, nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook until translucent, about two minutes. Add minced garlic and ginger; cook about one minute more.
2. Stir in tomato sauce, peach preserves, and chopped peaches. Reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce thickens (about 20 minutes). Stir in vinegar to taste. Adjust seasoning with pepper to taste (add salt to taste if desired). Remove from heat; let cool.
3. Pour half the barbecue sauce into a shallow baking dish; add pork chops or chicken breasts, turning to coat both sides. Cover dish and keep chilled in refrigerator until ready to grill. Reserve remaining sauce.
4. Grill pork chops or chicken breasts on a medium-hot grill or grill pan until cooked throughout (about five minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the meat). You can baste the meat with the remaining sauce while it is grilling, or serve any remaining sauce at the table.
Makes enough for 8 servings of meat (or 4 servings, plus extra to serve at the table).
Per serving (if eight per recipe): 80 calories, 1.2 g protein, 18 g carbohydrate, 1.2 g fat (0.1 g saturated fat, 0.9 g monounsaturated fat, 0.1 g polyunsaturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 286 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 12%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter