- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup strong, double-strength coffee
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup Splenda®
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 3/4 cup cocoa (sift the cocoa first if it is in chunks)
- 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 16 York Sugar Free Peppermint Patties
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling on top (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch square baking pan with canola cooking spray.
2. Add canola oil, fat-free sour cream, corn syrup, sugar, Splenda®, and vanilla to large mixing bowl and beat well by hand or with mixer on low speed.
3. Add in the egg, egg substitute, and cocoa, beating well after each addition and until lumps are gone.
4. Add the flours, baking powder, and salt to a 2-cup measure and blend briefly with a fork. Add dry ingredients to batter in mixing bowl and mix by hand or with mixer just until blended.
5. Pour half of the batter into prepared pan. Lay peppermint patties on top of batter. Pour the remaining batter over the patties. Bake in center of oven for 22 to 25 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.
6. Sprinkle top with a little bit of powdered sugar if desired.
Per brownie: 163 calories, 3.5 g protein, 25 g carbohydrate, 6.5 g fat (1.5 g saturated fat, 3 g monounsaturated fat, 2 g polyunsaturated fat) 13 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 71 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 35%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.