- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup 'no trans-fat' margarine with 8 grams of fat per tablespoon (such as Take Control®)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- canola cooking spray
1. In the mixing bowl, combine the flours and salt. With a pastry blender, blend in the margarine (it should be broken up into small pea-sized pieces).
2. With a wooden spoon, mix in the water to form a dough. Divide the dough into 8 balls. Cover them with a dish towel and set aside for 20 minutes.
3. Lightly flour a cutting board. With the rolling pin, roll each ball into a 6- or 7-inch circle.
4. Heating a nonstick, 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Coat the skillet with canola cooking spray. Cook the tortillas, one at a time, until blisters appear and the tortillas are lightly browned (1 to 2 minutes on each side). While the second side is cooking, you can sprinkle grated cheese over the top to make a quesadilla, if desired.
* If you use Take Control margarine, keep it in the freezer and add it to this recipe directly from the freezer.
Per tortilla: 105 calories, 2.3 g protein, 14.3 g carbohydrate, 4 g fat (0.5 g saturated fat, 2.2 g monounsaturated fat, 1.1 g polyunsaturated fat), 1.5 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 176 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 34%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.