Irish Chicken and DumplingsI've been told Chicken and Dumplings is Irish comfort food at its best. Here is the "Recipe- Doctored" version ... lighter in calories and fat grams, but still comforting.
- 2 cans (10.75 ounces each) Healthy Request®, reduced-fat cream of chicken soup, condensed
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup sliced or chopped celery
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 4 whole carrots, sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 2 large potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices, then quartered
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat Bisquick® baking mix
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/3 cup fat-free half-and-half or low-fat milk
1. In large saucepan, add condensed soup, water, celery, salt if desired, onions, poultry seasoning, pepper, chicken breasts potatoes and carrots. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cover pan. Simmer over low heat about 30 minutes.
2. Remove chicken from the saucepan, shred it into bite-sized pieces (or break up into pieces in saucepan using a spatula) and return to saucepan and stir in the peas.
3. Add Bisquick®, buttermilk, and fat free half-and-half to medium-sized bowl and blend to make a soft dough. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls into the simmering stew. Cover pan and simmer about 20 minutes. Uncover pan and simmer 10 minutes more. Serve hot!
Per serving: 347 calories, 24.5 g protein, 51.5 g carbohydrate, 4.5 g fat (1.2 g saturated fat, 0.8 g monounsaturated fat, 1.6 g polyunsaturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 465 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 12%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter