Soy Best Taco SaladYou decide whether you want to use soy cheddar cheese and soy sour cream or the dairy versions of these products.
- 12-ounce package Smart Ground® Taco/Burrito (Veggie Protein Crumbles) by Lightlife
- 1 1/2 cups shredded soy cheddar cheese (i.e. Veggie Shreds® Cheddar Flavor by Galaxy) or reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded (about 6 cups)
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 small sweet or mild onion, chopped
- 15-ounce can lower sodium kidney beans, drained, and rinsed
- Sliced black olives (optional)
- 5 ounces reduced-fat tortilla chips or baked tortilla chips (crumbled lightly with hands)
- 1/2 cup fat-free or light sour cream (or substitute soy sour cream)
- 1/2 cup mild salsa
1. Brown the veggie protein crumbles until nicely browned in a large nonstick skillet. Let cool.
2. In a large bowl, toss the soy crumbles with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, and beans. Add sliced olives if desired.
3. In small bowl, blend dressing ingredients well. Add the crumbled chips and dressing to the rest of the salad ingredients right before serving.
Per serving: 376 calories, 25 g protein, 50 g carbohydrate, 7 g fat (0.9 g saturated fat, 3.6 g monounsaturated, 1.9 g polyunsaturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 12.5 g fiber, 800 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 17%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter