Light Broccoli and Turkey Sausage Brunch Casserole
- 8 ounces light turkey sausage (i.e. Light Jimmy Dean®)
- 5 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed and drained (about 12-14 ounces); cut large florets in half
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 cups shredded, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1 cup part-skim or low-fat ricotta cheese
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic and herb salt-free seasoning (Mrs. Dash®) or garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (add more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (add more to taste -- optional)
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with canola cooking spray.
2. Brown sausage in large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it into small pieces as it cooks, using a potato masher or spatula.
3. Add browned sausage bits, broccoli florets, green onions, and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese to a large bowl and toss to blend. Spoon into the prepared pan.
4. Add 1/2 cup of the cheese, ricotta cheese, eggs and egg substitute, fat-free half-and-half, garlic seasoning, pepper, and salt to mixing bowl, and beat on medium until smooth. Pour mixture over the sausage and broccoli in pan.
5. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top of mixture in pan and arrange tomato slices on top. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes in preheated oven. Uncover and bake until cooked throughout (about 15 minutes more). Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 235 calories, 23 g protein, 9.5 g carbohydrate, 12 g fat (5.5 g saturated fat, 4 g monounsaturated fat, 2 g polyunsaturated fat) 150 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 500 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 46%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.