Mediterranean Pasta Salad
- 4 cups dry, thin penne pasta (choose whole wheat pasta if you prefer)
- 12 ounces frozen sugar snap peas (if using fresh, trim ends and stems)
- 3 links Tofurky® Sweet Italian Soy Sausage by Turtle Island Foods (or 11 ounces similar sausage)
- 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup julienne-cut sun-dried tomatoes (if packed in oil, drain; if dry, soak in warm water, then drain)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 teaspoons minced or chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup fat-free half-and-half (or substitute soy milk)
- 2 tablespoons bottled marinara or tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoon nonfat sour cream (or use soy alternative sour cream)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper (optional)
1. Bring 5 quarts water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to boil in large saucepan. Pour in pasta. Stirring occasionally, cook about 12 minutes. Pour in sugar snap peas and continue to boil one to two minutes (noodles should just be tender). Drain noodles well and place in large serving bowl.
2. While noodles are boiling, brown thinly sliced or coarsely chopped soy sausage in large nonstick frying pan coated with canola cooking spray. Let cool. Once cool; add to pasta in serving bowl. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes.
3. Place remaining ingredients in small food processor, or use a medium-sized bowl and a wire whisk. Puree briefly just to blend. Pour dressing over noodle mixture and stir to blend. Season with freshly ground pepper and salt if desired. Refrigerate until needed.
Per serving: 380 calories, 19 g protein, 51 g carbohydrates, 10.5 g fat (1 g saturated fat, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat information not available for the sausage), 0.3 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 280 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 25%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.