Beef and Beer Chili
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 pound beef top round (such as London broil), trimmed of fat and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced or chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano flakes
- 14 1/2 ounce can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes (or similar)
- 1 cup light or non-alcoholic beer (beef broth or water can be substituted)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons finely chopped chili pepper (jalapeno chili, halved and seeded (optional), finely
- 1 to 2 teaspoons finely chopped chili pepper (jalapeno chili, halved and seeded (optional), finely chopped
- 15 ounce can low-sodium kidney beans (or pinto beans), drained and rinsed
- Finely minced onion for serving (optional)
- Grated reduced-fat sharp cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
1. Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large, nonstick frying pan or skillet. Add beef, onion, and garlic, stirring occasionally, until browned (about 3 minutes).
2. Spoon beef mixture into crock pot. Add paprika, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and stewed tomatoes (including liquid), beer, jalapeno if desired, and beans. Stir to combine. Cover and turn crock pot on LOW. Cook 8-10 hours.
3. Sprinkle each serving with minced onion and grated cheese if desired.
Per serving: 231 calories, 23 g protein, 22 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat, 1.3 g saturated fat, 39 mg cholesterol, 7.5 g fiber, 211 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 21%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.