Light and Easy Pumpkin Custard Pie
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (canned) evaporated skim milk
- 2 teaspoons orange zest (orange peel), finely chopped
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup Meyers® rum (you can substitute orange juice for the rum if you prefer)
- Single pie crust
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves on lowest speed. Beat in the pumpkin, vanilla, evaporated milk, orange peel, and egg whites.
3. Beat with electric mixer until nice and smooth. Fold in the rum.
4. Pour into prepared 9-inch, deep dish, unbaked pie crust and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°F and bake for 45 minutes more or until knife inserted in the filling comes out clean.
5. Let cool and refrigerate until served. Serve with a little dollop of light Cool Whip® or light whipping cream if desired.
Per serving: 161 calories, 4 g protein, 22 g carbohydrate, 5.3 g fat (1.4 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 1.2 g fiber, 129 mg sodium.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.