Cakes, Cookies and Other Desserts
One Bowl (Better for You) BrowniesThis is a great recipe if you like your brownies on the cakey side. They are moist and full of chocolate flavor (because it's loaded with cocoa), but low in calories and saturated fat because canola oil (and not much of it) is used in place of butter.
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream (light can be substituted)
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (1/2 cup can be substituted with Splenda®if desired)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 3/4 cup cocoa (sift the cocoa first if it is in chunks)
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips -- white, milk, or semisweet (optional)
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling on top (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch square baking pan with canola cooking spray.
2. Add canola oil, sour cream, corn syrup, sugar (and Splenda if desired), and vanilla to large mixing bowl and beat well by hand or with mixer on low speed.
3. Add in the egg, egg substitute, and cocoa, beating well after each addition and until lumps are gone.
4. Add flour, baking powder, and salt to a 2 cup measure and blend briefly with a fork. Add dry ingredients to batter in mixing bowl and mix by hand or with mixer just until blended. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips if desired.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in center of oven for 22 to 25 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.
6. Sprinkle top with a little bit of powdered sugar if desired.
25 small brownies
Per small brownie (using 1/2 cup of Splenda): 99 calories, 2 g protein, 16.5 g carbohydrate, 3.5 g fat (0.5 g saturated fat), 8.5 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 49 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 30%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter