Overnight Creme Brulee French Toast
- 3 tablespoons low- or no-trans fat margarine or butter
- 5 tablespoons reduced-calorie pancake syrup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons Grand Marnier® (or other orange liqueur), divided
- At least 8 (1 inch thick) slices of French or sourdough bread (you might need more to cover the bottom of the pan depending on the size of your bread)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup egg substitute (such as Egg Beaters®)
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
fresh strawberries or other berries and a dollop of light whipped cream or Light Cool Whip®.
1. Coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with canola cooking spray. Melt margarine or butter in a small nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Mix in reduced-calorie pancake syrup, brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier®, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
2. Remove crusts from bread and arrange slices in the baking dish in a single layer on top of the brown sugar mixture (enough slices to cover the bottom of the pan).
3. In small bowl, whisk together eggs, egg substitute, fat-free half-and-half, vanilla extract, 2 teaspoons Grand Marnier®, and salt. Pour mixture evenly over the bread. Cover well and chill at least 8 hours or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove the dish from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature.
5. Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes until puffed and lightly browned. Serve with fresh fruit and a dollop of light whipped cream if desired.
Per serving: 294 calories, 12 g protein, 44 g carbohydrate, 6.5 g fat (1.5 g saturated fat, 2.1 g monounsaturated fat, 1.8 g polyunsaturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 537 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 20%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors