Cakes, Cookies and Other Desserts
Matzo Lemon Sponge CakeFor a smaller cake (with 6 servings) you can cut the recipe in half and line the bottom of a loaf pan with parchment paper to make a pound cake-shaped cake.
- 8 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup lemonade
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup sifted matzo cake meal (in a pinch, grind regular matzo meal for a minute in a food processor, then sift and measure 1 cup)
- Strawberries (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line just the bottom of 10-inch springform pan with parchment or waxed paper (or line the bottom of 2 loaf pans). Beat egg whites until stiff; set aside.
2. Beat egg yolks and lemonade until light. Add sugar and beat for a minute. Add a pinch of salt, the lemon juice and rind, and the matzo cake meal, and beat on low until nicely blended. On low speed, gently beat in the egg whites (or fold in with a spatula).
3. Once well mixed, pour into prepared pan(s) and bake until golden (about 45 minutes for the springform pan or around 20 minutes for loaf pans).
4. Invert pan until cake is cool. Use knife to cut around edges and remove cake from pan. Cut with serrated knife into layers if desired. Serve with strawberries between the layers if desired.
Per serving (not including strawberries): 171 calories, 4.5 g protein, 36 g carbohydrate, 1.8 g fat (0.5 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 0.5 g fiber, 41 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 9%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter