Appetizers & Snacks
Totally Tasty Trail MixThis trail mix has staying power. The dried fruit gives you some energy right away, and the walnuts and Grape-Nuts® cereal give you some fat and fiber that will help satisfy your hunger and make sure your body gets some additional energy a little later on. Walnuts were chosen because they have the most omega-3s and one of the lowest amounts of omega-6s of all the nuts.
- 1 cup dried fruit medley (i.e. Fruit Bits® or Harvest Medley®, includes dried cranberries, apples, and tart cherries)
- 1/2 cup English walnut halves (unsalted or lightly salted)
- 1 cup Grape-Nuts® (or similar)
- 1/2 cup raisins or cinnamon raisins (if the dried fruit medley doesn't include raisins)
1. TOSS: Add all of the ingredients to a gallon resealable bag, seal it well, and toss the ingredients together to blend.
2. GO: Take it with you on your road trip for a healthful, flavorful, high-fiber snack!
6 (1/2 cup) servings
Per serving: 225 calories, 4.5 g protein, 42 g carbohydrate, 6 g fat (0.5 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 133 mg sodium (more if walnuts are salted). Calories from fat: 24%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter