Holiday & Seasonal Recipes
Celebrate the Seasons and Holidays with Healthy Meals
Whatever the season, you can lighten your favorite foods.
By Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD/LD
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic - Feature
Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD
Tradition demands that we honor our family, culture, heritage, and country with celebrations throughout the year. Each season and holiday has its traditional favorite foods -- and they're usually high in calories and fat. After all, what would the Fourth of July be without a backyard barbeque? And Thanksgiving just wouldn't be same without turkey, dressing, and sweet potatoes.
The key to enjoying these foods while eating healthfully is to give a new twist to your old favorites. Our experts share lighter versions of their favorite family recipes, as well as cooking techniques to help you prepare delightful holiday foods without all the extra calories.
You can also take advantage of nature's bounty with healthful recipes that feature foods in season. Summer brings fresh berries, melons, tomatoes, and many other fruits and vegetables. Fall gives us cranberries, pumpkins, beans, squash, and crisp apples. Winter is a time to enjoy soups, stews, and slow-cooked meals that fill the house with enticing aromas. In spring, we savor lettuce, artichokes, asparagus, new potatoes, and more.
You'll find that it's not only possible, but easy, to make changes to your time-honored recipes to keep traditions alive while eating lighter and healthier.
Holiday & Seasonal Recipes:
- Cinco de Mayo: Recipes for Lighter Mexican Food
- Easter Brunch
- Easter Favorites
- Healthy Holiday Recipes
- Holiday Appetizers: Tips and Recipes
- Holiday Baking: Tips and Recipes
- Holiday Fruit: Tips and Recipes
- Holiday Pies: Tips and Recipes
- Holiday Side Dishes: Halfway Homemade
- Holiday Traditional Dishes: Tips and Recipes
- Holiday Treats: Tips and Recipes for Lighter Goodies
- Mother's Day Breakfast Made Easy
- Mother's Day Dishes: Tips and Recipes for Kids
- Mother's Day Gift Tips for Her Health & Fitness
- Mother's Day Off: Quick-Meal Tips for Dads & Kids
- Passover Recipes
- Potluck Makeovers
- Pumpkin Recipes
- Road Trip Recipes
- Slow Cooker Holiday Meal Recipes
- Spring Favorites: Easter and Passover Tips
- St. Patrick's Day Recipes
- Summer Barbecue Recipe Makeovers
- Summer Dessert Recipes
- Summer Marinades: Tips and Recipes
- Summer Meals: Tips and Recipes
- Summer Seafood Recipes
- Thanksgiving: Last-minute Tips and Tricks
- Thanksgiving: Tips and Recipes
- Thanksgiving Turkey: Lighter Leftovers
- Thanksgiving Week: Healthy Meals to Feed Your Holiday Visitors
- Valentine's Day: Tips and Recipes
- Winter Meals: Slow Cooker Suppers
- Winter Meals: Low-Fat Soup Recipes
Originally published February 2006.
Updated November 2007.
©2007 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter