WebMD Public Information from the Department of Health and Human Services
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic - Feature
Our Advice: Journal as 1 cup cream-based soup
1 1/2 cups chopped broccoli (or 10-ounce pkg. frozen broccoli)
1/4 cup diced celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 cups nonfat milk
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
Dash ground thyme
1/4 cup grated Swiss cheese
- Place vegetables and broth in saucepan.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover, and cook until vegetables are tender (about 8 minutes).
- Mix milk, cornstarch, salt, pepper, and thyme; add to cooked vegetables.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until soup is lightly thickened and mixture just begins to boil.
- Remove from heat. Add cheese and stir until melted.
This is an official 5 A Day recipe.
Yield: 4 servings. (1 cup each)
Nutritional analysis per serving: calories 115, cholesterol 10 mg, sodium 255 mg, fat 3 g, calories from fat 24%.
Our Advice: Journal as one portion side salad, mixed + 1/4 cup dried fruit
3 cups raw broccoli, chopped
1 cup seedless raisins
2 strips lean Canadian bacon
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
Vegetable dressing (recipe follows)
1/4 cup low-calorie mayonnaise
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vinegar
- In large bowl, combine chopped broccoli, raisins, cooked diced bacon, and raw chopped onions.
- Combine dressing ingredients and stir well.
- Add dressing to combined ingredients, and stir to coat evenly.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional analysis per serving: calories 268; fat 6 g, calories from fat 19%, cholesterol 10.2 g, fiber 3 g, sodium 303 mg.
Our Advice: Journal as 1/2 cup starchy food or legumes with one teaspoon fat + 1 ounce cheese
6 medium Idaho potatoes
3 stalks broccoli
1/4 cup skim milk
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/8 tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Scrub potatoes.
- Make shallow slits around the middle as if you were cutting the potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Bake until done 30 to 60 minutes, depending on size.
- Peel broccoli stems.
- Steam whole stalks just until tender and chop finely.
- Carefully slice the potatoes in half and scoop the insides into a bowl with the broccoli.
- Add milk, 3/4 cup cheese and pepper. Mash together until the mixture is pale green with dark green flecks.
- Heap into the potato jackets and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Return to oven to heat through (about 15 minutes).
This is an official 5 A Day recipe.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutritional Analysis Per Potato: calories 274, fat 7.5 g, calories from fat 24%, fiber 4.4 g, cholesterol 22 mg, sodium 516 mg, protein 9.9 g.
Our Advice: Journal as 1/2 cup vegetable with sauce, gratin or fried + 1/2 cup starchy foods without fat + 1/2 cup skim milk + 1 tsp. oil
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup carrots, sliced
1 cup zucchini, sliced
1 cup macaroni or rotini
1 Tbsp. flour (for sauce)
1 Tbsp. margarine (for sauce)
1 cup skim milk (for sauce)
1/4 tsp. dried basil (for sauce)
1/8 tsp. black pepper (for sauce)
2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese (for sauce)
- Steam vegetables until tender-crisp
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- In a small saucepan, melt margarine, blend in flour.
- Gradually stir in milk and seasoning. (Do not add cheese at this time.)
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and blend in cheese.
- Pour over hot vegetables.
- Add macaroni and mix together.
Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional analysis per serving: calories 433, fat 9 g, calories from fat 19%, cholesterol 7 mg, fiber 6 g, sodium 281 mg.
From the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Updated 2005.
©1996-2005 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.