- 8 slices Louis Rich® Turkey Bacon
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 pounds beef tip sirloin (or similar cut), trimmed of visible fat and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons Wondra® quick-mixing flour (divided use)
- 16 small white onions
- 1 1/2 cups baby carrots (or 2 small carrots, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed or minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup red Burgundy wine
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 3/4 pound sliced mushrooms
1. In large, nonstick frying pan over medium-low heat, cook bacon strips until just crisp (you can use the microwave instead, cooking 4 strips at a time on a double thickness of paper towels for about 4 minutes). Break up into bits.
2. Put 1/3 cup Wondra flour in a medium-sized bowl or large Ziploc bag. Add beef chunks and coat well with flour. Heat oil over medium-high heat in the frying pan. Add beef chunks, spray the top with canola cooking spray, and cook, turning until browned on all sides.
3. Put the browned beef and remaining ingredients in slow cooker. Stir, and then cook on LOW until beef is cooked throughout and onions are fork-tender (about 10 hours). Serve with bread, if desired.
Per serving: 277 calories, 30 grams protein, 12 grams carbohydrate, 8.8 grams fat (2.5 grams saturated fat, 3.6 grams monounsaturated fat, 1.4 grams polyunsaturated fat), 81 milligrams cholesterol, 2 grams fiber, 266 milligrams sodium. Calories from fat: 28%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.