Red Leaf, Pear and Walnut Salad
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- 10 cups rinsed and well-drained red leaf lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup walnut pieces (or coarsely chopped), toasted
- 3 pears, peeled, cored, and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
1. Add vinegar, apple juice, canola oil, Dijon mustard, and honey to food processor or blender and pulse until well-combined. Stir in poppy seeds and add salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Reserve 1/4 cup of the dressing and set aside.
2. Add red leaf lettuce and walnuts to large bowl, drizzle the remaining dressing over the top, and toss to coat well. Divide the lettuce among eight individual salad plates or bowls. Add pears to the large bowl and toss them with the reserved 1/4 cup dressing. Spoon pears evenly over the eight salads.
Per serving: 187 calories, 3.5 g protein, 16.5 g carbohydrate, 12.5 g fat (1 g saturated fat, 5.5 g monounsaturated fat, 6 g polyunsaturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 68 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 60%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.