Pennsylvania Dutch Pumpkin Cake
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup no-trans-fat or low-trans-fat margarine with 8 grams fat per tablespoon (such as Take Control® or Land O' Lakes® Buttery Taste Spread)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup Splenda® sugar substitute (replace with 1/2 cup granulated sugar, if desired)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or reduced-calorie pancake syrup
- 1/4 cup fat-free or light cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 15-ounce can pumpkin (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a Bundt or angel-food cake pan with canola cooking spray.
2. Combine the first five ingredients in an 8-cup measure or medium bowl; stir to blend well.
3. In mixing bowl, beat margarine, sugar, Splenda®, maple syrup, and cream cheese together. Add egg and egg substitute 1/4 cup at a time, beating after each addition.
4. Add pumpkin and vanilla and beat until combined. Beat in the dry ingredients on low speed just until combined. Transfer batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top, if desired.
5. Bake until fork inserted into the center comes out fairly clean (about 60 minutes). Cool cake in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Turn out onto a rack and cool completely.
Per serving: 271 calories, 6.5 g protein, 47 g carbohydrate, 6 g fat (1.2 g saturated fat, 1.5 g monounsaturated fat, 2.6 g polyunsaturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 3.3 g fiber, 270 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 20%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors