Awesome Turkey & Veggie Chili
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey (7% fat)
- 2 packages taco seasoning (1 ounce each)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups mild salsa
- 4 cups canned, crushed tomatoes in puree
- 7-ounce can chopped green chili peppers
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 5 medium zucchinis, halved lengthwise and sliced (about 6 cups)
1 1/4 cups shredded, reduced-fat Jack or cheddar cheese
1 bunch green onions, chopped (the white and part of the green)
1 1/4 cups fat-free sour cream
1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
1. Heat oil in a large, nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey, and as it cooks, use a potato masher to crumble into small pieces. After about 4 minutes, add taco seasoning mix, coriander, oregano, and the chili flakes (if desired). Stir and continue cooking until turkey is well browned.
2. Add chicken broth, salsa, tomatoes, green chilies, onion, bell pepper, and zucchini. Bring to a boil, then cover the pan and reduce heat; simmer for 10-15 minutes.
3. Ladle the chili into individual bowls (or into freezer portions). Just before serving (and after heating, if frozen), top each with grated cheese, green onions, sour cream, and avocado as desired.
Per serving: 245 calories, 17 g protein, 20 g carbohydrate, 10 g fat (2.6 g saturated fat, 4.2 g monounsaturated fat, 3 g polyunsaturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 4.5 g fiber, 990 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 36%.
NOTE: The garnishes add (per serving) 100 calories, 6 g protein, 8 g carbohydrate, 5.5 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 2.6 g monounsaturated fat, 0.5 g polyunsaturated fat, 7 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 99 mg sodium.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.