Eye Care After Laser Eye Surgery
After laser eye surgery, take these special precautions to prevent injury or infection during your initial postoperative period.
- Don't take a shower or wash your hair until the day after laser eye surgery.
- Avoid getting soap in your eye when bathing and washing your hair for at least 1 week after laser eye surgery. You should also avoid getting products such as hair spray and shaving lotion in your eyes while healing from laser eye surgery.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes for the first week after laser eye surgery.
- Wear the eye shield/goggles that you received in your postoperative kit when you are sleeping for the first 3 nights after laser eye surgery.
- Don't allow tap water to get in your eyes for at least a week after laser eye surgery.
- No swimming for at least 10 days after laser eye surgery.
- No eye makeup for at least 1 week after laser eye surgery.
- Don't get your hair colored or permed for at least 10 days after laser eye surgery.
- No exercise for 2 days after laser eye surgery.
- Wear eye protection for at least the first month once you have resumed exercise and sports activities after laser eye surgery.
- Bright sunshine may cause scarring, and therefore, sunglasses are recommended on bright days over a period of 12 months after laser eye surgery.
When to Call the Doctor
Reviewed by the doctors at The Cleveland Clinic Cole Eye Institute.
Edited by Charlotte E. Grayson, MD, WebMD, October 2004.
Portions of this page © The Cleveland Clinic 2000-2005
Daily Health News
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter