- Have a glass of 100% juice in the morning.
- Snack on fresh fruit throughout the day. Grab an apple or banana on your way out the door.
- Eat a big salad at lunch.
- Snack on raw veggies with low-fat dip instead of chips or candy.
- Keep trail mix made with dried fruit on hand for a quick snack.
- Enjoy your favorite beans and peas. Add them to salads. Try black bean and corn salsa for snacking.
- Add fresh or frozen veggies to your favorite pasta sauce or rice dish.
- Eat at least two vegetables with dinner.
- Choose fruit instead of a richer dessert.
For the best calorie control, eat vegetables raw or steamed. Use low-fat dips, garlic, onions, and other herbs, or very small amounts of butter, cheese, or sauces for flavor.
Eat a variety of colorful fruits and veggies everyday.
To get as many nutrients as possible, eat fruits and vegetables of different colors - red, yellow-orange, white, green, and blue-purple. Each color provides different phytochemicals and nutrients that work together to protect your health.
Leafy greens (collard, mustard, and turnip greens, Swiss chard, kale, spinach and lettuces), asparagus, green peppers, broccoli, green beans, peas, green cabbage, green onion, brussels sprouts, okra, zucchini, Chinese cabbage (nappa/ bok choy), chayote Squash, endive, leeks, broccoli rabe, green apples, green grapes, honeydew melon, kiwi fruit, limes
Yellow / Orange
Carrots, summer squash, sweet corn, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, winter squash, pumpkin, yellow peppers, rutabagas, yellow tomatoes, cantaloupe, grapefruit, lemons, nectarines, oranges, peaches, pineapples, tangerines, apricots, mangoes, papayas
Tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, tomato juice, tomato soup, red peppers, red onions, beets, red cabbage, kidney beans, red beans, red lentils, radishes, red apples, pink grapefruit, strawberries, cherries, watermelon, raspberries, cranberries, pomegranates
Blue / Purple
Eggplant, purple Belgian endive, purple grapes, plums, raisins, blueberries, blackberries, purple figs, dried plums, elderberries, black currents
Cauliflower, mushrooms, onions, garlic, parsnips, shallots, turnips, ginger, jicama, bananas, pears
For additional information, please visit the
Source: National Institutes of Health (www.nih.gov)