Bee sting: An area of skin affected by piercing from the stinger of a bee. A bee sting can trigger an allergic reaction, including life-threatening anaphylactic shock. Avoidance and prompt treatment are essential for those who are allergic to bee stings. Self-injectible adrenaline can be carried by persons known to be allergic when in risk areas. Hikers should wear long pants and shirts in risk areas. If a person is attacked, he or she should run for shelter, covering the face to prevent airway stings. Treatment depends on the severity of symptoms. Stingers should be removed promptly, and the area should be cleansed with soap and water. Ice packs, pain medications, and anti-itching medications can be helpful in treating local reactions. Victims with more serious symptoms can require intravenous fluids, oxygen, cortisone medicine, or epinephrine, as well as medications to open the breathing passages. In selected cases, allergy injection therapy is highly effective for prevention. For those who are not allergic, stings are a minor nuisance unless they occur in multiples.
CONTINUE SCROLLING OR CLICK HERE FOR RELATED ARTICLE
Reviewed on 12/4/2018