Medical Definition of Lamin A
Lamin A: Abbreviated LMNA. A gene on chromosome 1 that encodes a protein which is a key component of the membrane surrounding the cell nucleus.
Mutations in the LMNA gene are responsible for a number of genetic disorders including:
- Progeria syndrome,
- Emery-Dreifuss muscular dystrophy type 2,
- Limb girdle muscular dystrophy type 1B,
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth disorder type 2B1,
- The Dunnigan type of familial partial lipodystrophy,
- Mandibuloacral dysplasia and
- A familial form of dilated cardiomyopathy.
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter