Ant, fire: Originally from South America, a red or yellowish ant of small to medium size that has a severe sting that burns like fire. The sting of a fire ant causes a pustule to form within 24 hours that takes several days to resolve. Fire ant toxin can trigger an allergic reaction, particularly in people allergic to bee, wasp, and yellow jacket stings. Avoidance and prompt treatment are essential.
Quick GuideBad Bugs: Identify Bug Bites From Mosquitos, Spiders and More
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter
Last Editorial Review: 6/9/2016