Latest Lungs News
(HealthDay News) -- Pneumonia is an infection that inflames the air sacs in the lungs, says Mayo Clinic. The infection can cause cough, fever, chills and difficulty breathing. For some, especially infants and the elderly, pneumonia can be life-threatening.
To help prevent pneumonia, Mayo suggests:
- Get the flu vaccine. Speak with your doctor to make sure it's ok for you.
- Make sure children are vaccinated, especially if they attend group child care.
- Practice good hygiene. Wash your hands, or use an alcohol-based sanitizer.
- Don't smoke. Smoking damages your lungs' ability to fight off infection.
- Get enough sleep, exercise and eat healthy to keep your immune system strong.
Copyright © 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.