Latest Infectious Disease News
- Ground Turkey Linked to Salmonella Outbreak
- Doctors': Antibiotics Can Be for Shorter Periods
- Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Songbirds & Feeders
- Sabra Classic Hummus Recalled Due to Salmonella
- Ebola Survivor May Have Started Latest Outbreak -- 5 Years Later
- Want More News? Sign Up for MedicineNet Newsletters!
THURSDAY, Dec. 5, 2019 (HealthDay News) -- Infections linked to injections of black tar heroin have killed seven people in San Diego County in the past two months, health officials said Wednesday.
Nine people, aged 19 to 57, were admitted to area hospitals with "severe myonecrosis" bacterial infections after injecting the drug Oct. 2 and Nov. 24, according to a county health department statement, NBC News reported.
Myonecrosis destroys muscle, health officials said.
Doctors and other medical professionals should watch for more cases of soft tissue infections, the health department advised, NBC News reported.
Copyright © 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.