Latest Infectious Disease News
- Ground Turkey Linked to Salmonella Outbreak
- Doctors': Antibiotics Can Be for Shorter Periods
- Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Songbirds & Feeders
- Sabra Classic Hummus Recalled Due to Salmonella
- Ebola Survivor May Have Started Latest Outbreak -- 5 Years Later
- Want More News? Sign Up for MedicineNet Newsletters!
Other wildlife and nature areas near Denver has also been closed as officials try to halt the spread of the disease, which can be transferred by fleas to humans and pets, the Washington Post reported.
It was discovered in late July that plague-infected fleas were biting black-tailed prairie dogs in the refuge, so affected areas started being closed "as a precautionary measure to prioritize visitor health and safety, while also allowing staff to protect wildlife health," according to a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service statement.
Certain areas of the 15,000-acre refuge remain closed due to the risk to hikers and pets, the Post reported.
Copyright © 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.