NC Man Dies of Brain-Eating Amoeba After Visiting Water Park

MONDAY, July 29, 2019 (HealthDay News) -- The rare brain-eating amoeba Naegleria fowleri has been confirmed as the cause of death of a North Carolina man.

Health officials said the man became sick after swimming in a manmade lake at Fantasy Lake Water Park in Cumberland County on July 12, CBS News reported.

The infection was caused by the amoeba naturally present in warm freshwater during the summer, the state Department of Health and Human Resources said in a news release.

Infection can occur when amoeba-contaminated water enters the body through the nose, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The condition remains very rare: Just 145 people in the U.S. are known to have been infected with the amoeba from 1962 through 2018, health officials noted.

MedicalNews
Copyright © 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

SLIDESHOW

Bacterial Infections 101: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments See Slideshow

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED ARTICLE