Latest Infectious Disease News
- Doctors': Antibiotics Can Be for Shorter Periods
- Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Songbirds & Feeders
- Sabra Classic Hummus Recalled Due to Salmonella
- Ebola Survivor May Have Started Latest Outbreak -- 5 Years Later
- Chicken Coops Pose Threat of 'Viral Spillover'
- Want More News? Sign Up for MedicineNet Newsletters!
Twelve people have been hospitalized. No deaths have been reported in the outbreak. Illnesses began between Nov. 18, 2018 and June 13, 2019.
A common supplier of pig ear dog treats linked to the outbreak has not been identified, and the investigation is ongoing, the CDC said.
It reminded dog owners to always wash hands thoroughly with soap and water right after handling pet food or treats, including pig ears.
Store pet food and treats away from where human food is stored or prepared and away from the reach of young children. Always follow any storage instructions on pet food bags or containers.
Use a clean, dedicated scoop, spoon, or cup to scoop pet food. Don't use your pet's feeding bowl.
Children younger than 5 years old should not touch or eat pet food or treats, the CDC said.
Copyright © 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.