Congo Ebola Outbreak Still Not a Global Emergency: WHO

The ongoing Ebola outbreak in Congo is of "deep concern," but does not yet qualify as a global emergency, the World Health Organization says.

The outbreak began on Aug. 1, 2018 and is so far the second deadliest in history, with 1,206 confirmed and probable cases, including 764 deaths, Congo's health ministry said Thursday, the Associated Press reported.

The deadliest outbreak was in West Africa from 2014-16 and killed more than 11,300 people.

The recent spike of Ebola cases in Congo increases the threat that the deadly virus will spread to other countries and efforts must be redoubled to stop it, the WHO said Friday after a meeting of its expert committee, the AP reported.

The is the second time the U.N. health agency has decided the Congo outbreak is not a global emergency.

Before the WHO announced its decision, Red Cross official Emanuele Capobianco said he was "more concerned than I have ever been" about Ebola's possible regional spread, the AP reported.

The head of health and care at the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies noted that Congolese health ministry data showed 40 new cases over two days last week. That's an unprecedented rate in this outbreak, according to Capobianco.

MedicalNews
Copyright © 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

SLIDESHOW

Bacterial Infections 101: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments See Slideshow

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW