Congo Ebola Outbreak Now 2nd Largest in History: WHO

The Ebola outbreak in Congo is now the second largest in history, the World Health Organization says.

The country's health ministry says the number of cases has reached 426, including 379 confirmed cases and 47 probable ones. There have been 198 confirmed deaths and 47 probable ones, the Associated Press reported.

The outbreak of the deadly disease was declared on Aug. 1 and WHO's emergencies chief, Dr. Peter Salama, previously predicted that it would last at least another six months before it can be contained.

The deadliest Ebola outbreak killed more than 11,000 people in West Africa from 2014 to 2016, the AP reported.

Efforts to fight the Congo outbreak have been hampered by a number of problems, including hostility from local residents and attacks by rebel groups.

Ebola vaccinations have been given to more than 37,000 people, and the first-ever trial to test the effectiveness and safety of four experimental Ebola drugs has been launched in the country, the AP reported.

MedicalNews
Copyright © 2018 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW