(HealthDay News) -- A Cesarean section is major surgery, and it's normal to be tired and have pain and discomfort after the procedure, the Mayo Clinic says.
Latest Pregnancy News
Mayo offers this advice about recovery after a C-section:
- Rest as often as you can.
- Avoid lifting anything heavier than your newborn.
- Take pain medication as needed and use a heating pad to help ease discomfort.
- Inspect the incision for signs of infection, including redness, oozing or swelling.
- Expect some vaginal discharge as you shed the mucous membrane that lined your uterus during pregnancy. The discharge will be red for the first few days and then turn a yellowish white color.
- You are likely to feel some contractions as your uterus adjusts to its size before pregnancy.
- Breasts may be tender as they fill and engorge with milk.
- Many women will have hair loss after pregnancy.
Copyright © 2018 HealthDay. All rights reserved.